a head shot of a woman smiling; the Boston skyline is in the background.
Technology & Data Director

In February, we shared details on the impending transition from DUNS to UEI on April 4, 2022. This blog includes updated links and information on the ongoing process.

As of April 4, 2022, the federal government has officially transitioned from using DUNS numbers to a new identifier called a UEI (Unique Entity ID). These unique identifiers will now be required for all organizations receiving federal grant dollars.

NEFA currently has several grant programs which are supported by funding from the National Endowment for the Arts. As a federal agency, the National Endowment for the Arts requires organizations that receive a grant from NEFA to have a UEI to receive funds for NEFA grant opportunities.

Getting a UEI is a free process and can be done by visiting SAM.gov (Systems for Award Management), the federal database for tracking where federal dollars for awards and contracts go.

How will this affect you?

My organization is already registered in SAM.gov.

If your organization applies for and/or receives funding directly from a government agency, it may already be registered in SAM.gov. If so, you’ve already been assigned a new Unique Entity ID! It’s viewable in your entity registration record in SAM.gov. (Note: If you have a DUNS Number but are not registered in SAM.gov, you will NOT automatically have a UEI assigned to your organization.)

If you need assistance with your SAM.gov account or have other technical issues, please visit the Federal Service Desk at FSD.gov to search for frequently asked questions. 

My organization IS NOT already registered in SAM.gov.

If you have not previously registered in SAM.gov, you can get a Unique Entity ID by visiting this page and clicking the button that says “Get Unique Entity ID.” You do not need to complete a full registration with SAM.gov in order to get a UEI.  

Note: During registration, you will be asked whether or not your entity should be available in public search. Make sure to select the option allowing for public search so NEFA can verify your UEI and/or help you retrieve it if you ever lose it.


I am an individual applicant.

You do not need to have a UEI to apply for and receive grants from NEFA. You will be asked to enter a series of questions in place of these identifiers when applying for grants.


  • I have a question about retrieving my UEI! Check out this FAQ Page from the Federal Service Desk.
  • I have a NEFA grant-specific question! Reach out to NEFA’s Technology & Data team at tech@nefa.org.