The Idea Swap is an annual event for New England-based nonprofit presenting organizations to network and share project ideas that may qualify for funding from NEFA’s Expeditions grant program. Read more about the Idea Swap and watch a highlight reel from the 2013 Idea Swap.
In addition to networking, Idea Swap participants are encouraged to share ideas in all stages with their colleagues from around the region. Project ideas are selected in advance to make five-minute presentations at the Idea Swap. Please see below for more details about how to present.
- Discover project ideas
Visit the Idea Swap Project Ideas page to find out what other presenting organizations are working on.
- Share your project idea online
Post your project to the Project Ideas page by submitting a project idea (see instructions below). Project ideas will be available on this page before and after the Idea Swap, and will be distributed in hard copy to all event participants.
- Present your project idea at the Idea Swap
In advance of the Idea Swap, NEFA selects 15-20 projects from the Project Ideas page to make 5-minute presentations at the Idea Swap.
How to submit your Idea Swap project:
- Submit your project idea in this online form and indicate tht you would like to present your project.
- If you are selected to present a project, you will be notified by Thursday, October 30, 2014.
- Project ideas must be submitted by Monday, October 20, 2014.
- Project ideas must include a link to a video or audio work sample of the artist. The work sample does not have to be of the proposed project. It will be reviewed by NEFA when considering project ideas for presentation. Work samples will NOT be posted on the Idea Swap Project Idea page. If chosen to present, you will be given the chance to review your work sample for the Idea Swap.
- Project ideas with at least one interested presenter and creative presentations, which may include the featured artist, are given priority.
|9:30AM-10:00AM||Registration Opens & choice of:
A) Light breakfast and networking (Main Hall)
B) New to NEFA or new to the Idea Swap? Receive an overview of NEFA and Expeditions from NEFA staff and learn about presenter member organizations from representatives of New England Presenters (NEP) and Arts Presenters of Northern New England (APNNE).
|10:00AM-10:30AM||Welcome & Overview|
|10:30AM-11:30AM||Project Presentations: In advance of the Idea Swap, NEFA selects 15-20 projects from the Project Ideas page to make five-minute presentations at the Idea Swap.|
|11:30AM-12:15PM||Mini Swaps: Participants will break out into small groups to informally discuss project ideas based on the disciplines of music, dance, and theater. These small forums will allow a larger number of attendees to share project ideas in quick, two to three-minute succession.|
|12:15PM-1:45PM||Lunch & Networking|
|2:30PM-3:00PM||Open Mic Presentations: Sign up throughout the day to share your idea with all participants in three minutes or less!|
|3:00PM||End of Day (We promise we will end on time.)|
$40 through September 30 | $50 after
view the program book
There is limited on-street parking available. The nearest parking lots are on Waldo Street, Exchange Street, East Central Street, Main Street, and the Elm Street Garage. View a Google Map here.
If you are interested in carpool options or to offer a ride for Idea Swap attendees, please provide your information here.
NEFA has set aside a room block at the Holiday Inn Express Worcester Downtown for the nights of November 12 and 13. Rate is $109 per night (reduced rate is available until October 17, 2014). Free parking and complimentary WiFi is included. To make reservations, call the hotel at 855.914.9635 and mention "NEFA Idea Swap" or book online using this link to receive the reduced rate.