Grants & Programs
Navigating NEFA's New Online Grants System
We are excited to announce that our transition to a new online grants system is complete! Find out more.
NDP 2012 TOURING AWARDS
NDP 2012 Touring Awards work samples
National Dance Project Production Grant
NDP Production Grants fund the creation and development of new dance work that will tour nationally.
More about NDP Production Grants
These grants are highly competitive and are awarded to approximately 20 artist/companies annually. Grants generally range from $25,000 to $40,000.
- Choreographers and companies are eligible to apply for Production Grants. Only one application per choreographer or company will be accepted.
- Projects must have a U.S. presenter partner.
- Preference is given to U.S.-based dance artists and companies; international artists and companies are encouraged to apply for NDP Touring Awards.
- Work that will be developed and premiere during the 1.5 years following the application deadline is eligible, including work that is in the early stages of development at the time of application.
- Production Grants are paid to artists and companies with nonprofit status or to nonprofit fiscal sponsors (such as presenter partners) on behalf of artists or companies.
- Artists receiving a Production Grant or Touring Award in any given season are not eligible to apply for another Production Grant or Touring Award the following season. Once an artist has completed the NDP-supported tour of the project, that artist may again be eligible for another NDP Production Grant or Touring Award.
- Artists who have received Production Grants for two consecutive cycles* are not eligible to apply in the following third cycle (two seasons), but will gain back eligibility in the fourth cycle.
* A cycle includes the development year and the year of touring, whenever that occurs.
- Applicant must be able to fulfill the Requirements & Reports for Grant Recipients if awarded.
- Make possible the creation of new works of genuine imagination and originality by artists with a track record of professional production and touring and recognized skill and accomplishment.
- Ensure that the new works will tour and be performed in venues in multiple locations.
- Offer potential to engage audiences because of the work's relevance, originality and/or timeliness, and the project's use of live and virtual strategies to connect the artists and the public.
- Reflect a well-articulated partnership between the artist/choreographer and at least one U.S. presenter.*
* Presenter/artist partnerships are relationships in which U.S. nonprofit presenters work with dance artists to support the creation and touring of new work. In the development process, a presenter may provide a variety of resources, including, but not limited to, residency space, audience for work-in-progress showings, administrative guidance or support, marketplace advocacy, tour planning assistance, and the leveraging of additional funds for the project. It is understood that the need and level of assistance between presenting partners and artists varies from artist to artist, but NDP believes strongly in presenter/artist alliances, which can greatly benefit the development and distribution of dance.
Process & Deadlines
The Production grant selection process is divided into two rounds:
- Mid-January: Preliminary application (inquiry) available.
- March 1, 2013: Production Grant inquiry deadline.
- May: Applicants are notified of preliminary decisions. Finalists are invited to submit a full proposal (request) and are paired with an NDP Hub Site representative who serves as the project's advisor during full proposal development.
Full Proposal Round:
- Early May: Full proposal application (request) available.
- June 3, 2013: NDP Production request deadline.
- July: NEFA announces NDP Production Grant recipients.
- September: NEFA publishes details of NDP Touring Awards.
Grant Applications & Instructions
The most recent preliminary application (inquiry) deadline has passed. Artists and companies asked to submit a full proposal (request) receive instructions from NEFA for accessing online forms. Check back in early 2014 for future grant round application information.
- Completed and submitted online Production Grantee Report (see below).
- Copies of program and publicity materials showing required crediting.
- Hi-res photos of the work.
- DVD of the completed work mailed to NEFA c/o NDP.
Click below to log in and begin your grantee report. You may save and return at any time.
Questions about the program or eligibility:
Sara C. Nash | Program Manager, National Dance Project
firstname.lastname@example.org | 617.951.0010 x512
Questions about the application process or grant forms:
Cheri Opperman | Grants Coordinator, National Dance Project
email@example.com | 617.951.0010 x524
Steven Skerritt-Davis | Program Coordinator, National Dance Project
firstname.lastname@example.org | 617.951.0010 x521