West Sumatran contemporary dance company bursts open ethnic traditions and contemporary cultural tensions with percussive, persuasive and vital modern dance. Made and performed by a family of artists, Nan Jombang’s work is a compelling mix of Minangkabau performing arts traditions (drumming, dance, martial arts), spirituality, and contemporary movement. On tour they present Rantau Berbisik (Whisperings of Exile) by artistic director Ery Mefri. “This was a moving and profound evening of dance. If you can still get a ticket, do so.” (Glam Adelaide/Australia)
|Travelers||Eight (five dancers, one artistic director, one production, one company manager)|
|Venue||Proscenium and black box stages; sprung floor with marley cover; typical dance light plot|
Visit the Center Stage Blog.
- Online Press Kit (with hi-res images)
- Video: Repertory Excerpt (1:36)
- Video: Profile (3:57)
- Video: Rantau Berbisik (excerpts; 9:28)
- Video: Sarikaik (excerpts; 9:20)
- Review: 'Sangketo Piriang' dance fuses traditional and modern (Jakarta Post)
General Management & Touring
Lisa Booth Management, Inc.